Monday, March 8, 2010

Assurance of Salvation


It seems to me to be a commonplace of Scripture to speak of the difference in behavior between those who know the Lord and those who do not.  Paul speaks to misbehaving Christians by saying, "You didn't learn Jesus Christ this way."

Sounds simple, Huh!

But this introduces a problem.  We are also taught that all our good works are contaminated by sin, and that it is only the gift of salvation that makes them acceptable to God through Christ.

So, which is it?  How do I apply the standards of behavior?  When does my behavior, being so bad, imply that I don't know the Lord.  When is my behavior "good enough" to qualify, even though the sin that is in them is clearly obvious to me?  What is the dividing point between "so bad I doubt my Christianity," and "good enough" that I don't need to doubt it.

Calvin speaks to this, as do the Lutherans.  Calvin's sentiment is simply this, quoting freely: "How do you know that the good you think you see in your works means that you are a Christian, rather than that the bad you see for sure in your works means you are not?"

Calvin's answer is that you don't make this judgment of your own works take the highest priority.  Any repentant believer should take comfort in being accepted by Christ, because there is simply no works component to our acceptance.

But, you say, "My works don't confirm this assessment.  I'm repentant, but there is no good in me."  You can only retreat into "justification by faith alone," a doctrine bandied about a lot, often spoken of glibly, sometimes in controversy, but a God-send in spiritual distress.

Believe the Lord:  "Come unto me all you that are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."  Bring nothing.  Rest on Christ the Rock, and have joy!

And, what about Christian behavior?

Faith, which receives full salvation without works,
Faith, which rests on Christ the Rock,
This Faith loves God, and
By Him you will be changed!

You will never be satisfied with your Christian behavior, but it will nevertheless come, by grace.  And, your works will be accepted by God for Christ's sake!

1 comment: