Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Opposition of God is Our Greatest Blessing (v2)


Life can be hard, what with all the opposition we face.  It appears on every hand.  Of course, we think that it mostly comes from men.  "They" don't understand me and are always standing in the way of the implementation of my dreams.  Truth is, our own flesh is a much bigger enemy than we like to admit.  Sometimes others oppose us to keep us out of trouble.  Then, there is the devil!  His mission is to destroy both body and soul.

But, it's useless to rummage over the list of these opponents, and to think faithless thoughts, because, as Luther takes pains to point out in his "Theology of the Cross," God Himself is our biggest opponent!!

Think of it!  Christ prayed that prayer in the garden to be delivered from the cup of sacrificial death.  But he wasn't.  Isn't this the only prayer of his that was answered "No!"?  Because he was opposed by his Father, sweated blood, and died as a reject under divine judgment, he became the Savior.

In my own life, I have been quite conscious that my biggest opponent in serving Christ the way I would wish to -- is Christ Himself!  As I have reread again about the "Theology of the Cross," it struck me again, and more fully -- This Is The Plan.  I'll never see the end of His Opposition, and therefore I will be always a sinner, always repenting, and always just.

So, let us have peace enduring the Divine Opposition.  Precisely within God's "alien work" of opposing us, is found his "proper work" of saving us.  In death we find life.  In weakness we find strength.  In tribulation we will find glory.  The eye of flesh sees only the alien work of God, but the eye of faith is finally brought to see, experience and understand the proper work of God!

Then, says Luther, we become theologians!

1 comment: