Saturday, May 1, 2010

Church Life in Philippians (The Gospel and Love)


Paul writes (underlines and [square brackets] mine):

I thank my God upon every remembrance of you, always in every prayer of mine making request for you all with joy, for your fellowship in the gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ; just as it is right for me to think this of you all, because I have you in my heart, inasmuch as both in my chains and in the defense and confirmation of the gospel, you all are partakers with me of grace.  For God is my witness, how greatly I long for you all with the affection of Jesus Christ.  And this I pray, that your love may abound still more and more in knowledge and all discernment, that you may approve the things that are excellent, that you may be sincere and without offense till the day of Christ, being filled with the fruits of righteousness which are by Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God.     Philippians 1:3-11

There is a lot here.  I've only highlighted certain important things (not all).  There is material here about perseverance, which Paul speaks extensively about in later chapters of the epistle.  There is also reference to our learning to approve the things that are excellent -- also spoken of later at length.

Here, though, I discern a supreme emphasis on sharing together, and with the apostle, in the defense and confirmation of the gospel.  And, right along with this commitment is a love relationship, like the love of Christ, which exists among the Philippians themselves, along with Paul.

The coupling of these two things is significant.  The gospel is founded in the love of Christ, and those who experience that love, practice that love among their fellow church-members.  And, connected with this love relationship is the defense and confirmation of the gospel, by the whole church.

This combination of the doctrinal and felt gospel is most highly praised by Paul, and should serve as a model for the church.

1 comment: